Mexican Bean Soup (from Maggie Lynch)
1 medium onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 large carrot, diced
½ small butternut, diced
150g dried aduki or kidney beans, soaked and cooked, or 1 x 400 gram tin cooked beans
2 heaped tsp ground cumin
½ tsp chilli flakes
1 heaped tsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes (preferably organic)
1 litre homemade vegetable stock or 2-3 kallo stock cubes
1 litre boiling water
Fresh coriander to garnish
Natural Greek yoghurt or soya yoghurt to serve
- Gently fry garlic in olive or coconut oil for 1 minute, add onion and cook for 15-20 minutes. Add diced carrot and butternut squash, gently cook for 15 minutes. Add spices: cumin, chilli flakes, smoked paprika, cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add tomato puree, chopped tomatoes, aduki/kidney beans and stock, simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Either leave soup chunky or blend slightly.
- Add freshly chopped coriander and simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Serve with a large dollop of yoghurt and chunky sourdough.
Hearty Red Lentil Soup
A dash of rapeseed oil
2 onions, very finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic
3 tsps. of cumin seeds
1 tsp. of garam masala
1 tin of tomatoes
1 litre of good stock
300g of red lentils
2 tbsps. of tomato puree
Parsley to serve
- Heat the oil and sauté the onions until they are translucent.
- Add the garlic and continue frying for another minute.
- Add the spices, the tin of tomatoes, tomato puree and stock.
- Stir well and add the lentils.
- Leave the lid on and let it bubble away for about 15mins until the lentils are soft.
- Add a little more stock if necessary.
- Taste and season.
- Sprinkle with parsley (optional) and a spoon of natural yoghurt (optional).
Fish Kedgeree (from Dale Pinnock)
Coconut oil, for cooking
½ small red onion, minced
½ red bell pepper, chopped
1 tsp curry powder
½ tsp turmeric
1 red chilli pepper, thinly sliced
½ cup brown basmati rice
sea salt and black pepper
1 large free-range egg
handful baby spinach
1 smoked mackerel fillet
1 tblsp live natural yoghurt
- Heat the coconut oil over medium heat in a large pan, add the onion and red pepper, and cook gently until softened – about 5 minutes.
- Add the curry powder, turmeric, chilli pepper and rice, and stir for a few minutes to toast the spices slightly.
- Add enough water to cover the rice, season with salt & pepper, and simmer covered, over medium heat for about 20 minutes, or until the rice has softened.
- Boil the egg. Let it cool before peeling and cutting into quarters.
- Just before the rice is fully cooked stir in the baby spinach and cook for a few more minutes until wilted.
- When the rice is cooked, stir in the flaked mackerel and yoghurt.
Serve with a fresh green salad.Download Recipe