Date, oat & orange squares
500g pitted dates
140ml fresh orange juice
240g organic fine oatflakes
120g brown rice flour
90g ground almonds
150ml natural sunflower oil
50ml organic apple-juice concentrate
- Heat oven to Gas 5, 190C.
- Wash the dates, place in a pot and add water up to level with the top of the dates.
Place a lid on top, bring to the boil, lower the heat & simmer for 20 mins.
- Stir in 40ml of the fresh orange juice and mix until the dates are smooth. Set aside.
- Oil a 9inch square baking tin & line the bottom with greaseproof paper. Oil the paper.
- In a mixing bowl mix the oatflakes, rice flour & ground almonds together.
- Using a zester remove the rind from the orange & mix with the dry ingredients.
- Stir the sunflower oil, apple juice concentrate, orange juice & the juice from the zested orange into the dry ingredients. Mix well.
- With dampened fingers, press two-thirds of the mixture firmly into the baking tin.
- Spread the dates on top. Gently press the remainder of the oatflake mixture on top of the dates.
- Bake in the centre of the pre-heated oven for 40 mins or until golden.
- Allow to cool & slice into 12 pieces.
Go Banana! (from Derval O’Rourke)
40g jumbo porridge oats
¼ tsp cinnamon
a pinch of salt (optional)
1 banana, peeled and unsliced
2–3 tbsp almond butter or another nut butter of your choice
- Mix the oats, cinnamon and salt together and spread out on a plate.
- Cover the banana with almond butter.
- Roll the banana in the oat mixture.
- Place the coated banana in an airtight container and leave it in the fridge overnight.
- Next morning, grab and go!